Seeing The Faces Beyond Kony

Brighton, age 9 (March 2012) supported by House of Loveness, Zimbabwe

I've had to spend some time collecting my thoughts about the recent Invisible Children campaign.  The minute the campaign went viral and I saw the urgent appeal on Facebook from my friends and their children, I was perplexed.  The outpouring of urgency from the campaign didn't make sense because I knew Kony (the head of the LRA) that the campaign was focused on capturing (with your donations) was no longer in Uganda AND no longer a threat. His damage was done years ago. The children that survived his atrocities do deserve our help.   The focus should be on empowering the children's future, not on making Kony a household name.

I have never met the filmmakers of Invisible Children but I do know they spoke at my own children's school 2 years ago.  They pulled in on their bus, showed their film and got the children engaged in conversations about Africa and how to help. I know their intentions were good and I don't doubt that they have made a tremendous difference in the lives of some of the children in Uganda.  I do feel uncomfortable about their methods of raising money, from the Disney-esque, Michael Jackson inspired video released in 2006 featuring the filmmakers in dance scenes that could be straight out of High School musical (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6QWdVD4zsc) to the recent Kony2012 video that over 80 million people viewed which NEVER mentioned that Kony is no longer in Uganda. Both these videos raised a lot of money for the Invisible Children, US-based organization. Some of it went to the children in Africa.


If you want to see more of your dollars working for these children, take a look at Sam Childers' organization (http://www.machinegunpreacher.org/). There was a recent movie made about his work in East Africa not only rescuing the children from the LRA but staying on in Africa and empowering them through the gift of education. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Springtime In Zimbabwe

Following My Heart

A Different Set of Wheeels