Following My Heart

"It is the heart that gives; the fingers just let go." -Ibo tribe, Nigeria


In the next 48 hours, ten women and two of their children are joining me for a week long retreat in Zimbabwe.  I am filled with gratitude for the sacrifice they are making to leave their families during the Thanksgiving holiday, pack bags full of supplies to bring to the children and fly 20 plus hours to Zimbabwe. I have to believe the decision to come to Zimbabwe was made from their heart.  Their head might have given them another answer.

On my first trip to Zimbabwe in 2008, I arrived to the news the baby I was to adopt had died.  I spent eight days in Zimbabwe to get her buried and in my head I knew I never wanted to go back.  But my heart led me to return again six weeks later with a wheelchair for Kuda, one of the abandoned children I met whose legs were so atrophied that he scooted on his hands across the dirty hospital floor.  No one ever thought he would walk but I wanted him off that hospital floor so I brought him a wheelchair donated by Susan and Nick Noyes and www.makeitbetter.net.

It's now five years later and I've returned to Zimbabwe nearly twenty times. Kuda doesn't need the wheelchair anymore, he is walking. Actually he is running.

I'm glad I listened to my heart.

Kuda, November 2008



House of Loveness has a current campaign on IndieGoGo to raise funds to buy a car in Zimbabwe for safe transport for the children.  One of the perks for a $60 donation is a heart stone hand made by a sculptor in Zim.  We would love your support!  Other perks include a week long all expenses paid trip for two in Zimbabwe in 2014 (air fare not included) to visit the children, work at the school and spend time on safari.

All $10 donations receive a postcard from our holiday party in Zimbabwe. We would love to send out hundreds of postcards!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/we-need-a-ride


Sending love from Zimbabwe,

Betsy Blankenbaker




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Springtime In Zimbabwe

A Different Set of Wheeels